Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Wink And A Smile

 Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.
- Kathleen Kelly, You've Got Mail

Tumblr_lya20jc38w1qb30dwo1_500_large

Happy long weekend everyone! It's the perfect time to create incredible memories among family and friends while at the same time, having the wonderful opportunity to unwind into the comforts of one's pleasures and small dreams reserved for hours like these.

It's a gorgeous Saturday evening. There's a spring in my step and a lightness in my heart.
Spring in Toronto is beautiful- the buds are appearing on the trees, the grass is green, and there's a flurry of activity taking place down at the Harbourfront. I hear the cherry blossoms in High Park are beginning to bloom, and I find myself getting into the old habit of stepping into one of  my favourite bookstores to pick out one or two (or five) books, picking up my favourite flowers, dropping by my usual cafe for tea, strolling down the Distillery District or the AGO... this simple routine I find,  is the cure for anything.

Listen:


Come warmer weather, I want to dance under the stars with this song playing in the background. Care to join?

Film:
I can tell you right now that I don't ever think I will ever appreciate the Romantic Comedies of this day and age. But by god, weren't they amazing in the '90s! I'm talking about One Fine Day, Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping, When Harry Met Sally, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, My Best Friend's Wedding, and it goes on. One stands out in particular to me and I find myself going back to it time and again (I've probably watched it a few times and never has it lost its magic):

You've Got Mail, starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks:


It's got to be New York in the Fall, the constant presence of books and bookshops which fill up almost every scene:
"|The Shop Around the Corner" would have been paradise to eight year old me.

It's the reference to Pride and Prejudice, the ability to relate to Kathleen in some moments when it comes to being a hopeless romantic, how Joe and Kathleen look at each other as they deny the inevitable, the songs throughout the film which capture moments perfectly.
It's the Brownstone and its interior- I adored the decor  and how it houses a piano, a typewriter, and wall-to-wall bookshelves:


And yes, daisies are the friendliest flowers. Best of all, it's the way the film ended, on a warm sunny day like what we're about to experience in a month's time.
I always feel so good after I watch this film- like I can't wait to start a new day with the hope that things will be okay and that within the ordinary of everyday things, comes the unexpected.
It's crazy to think that someone you pass by on the street, or on the train, or in the coffee shop you drop by regularly, could possibly be the love your life, and you didn't know it. Here's to finding that wonderful person who will make you feel extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for brightening my day! Always love to hear what you have to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails