Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Thoughts and Inspirations

It's not death that man should fear, but never beginning to live.
- Marcus Aurelius


Thoughts:


Recently, when I caught up with a friend whom I haven't seen a long while, it made me realize a couple of things:

People are in your life everyday. You see them as you walk down the street when you head into work. They're there when you step into your favourite bookstore, brush against your shoulders as you head down the stairs to take the train, or when you've gone to pick up a cup of coffee at the nearest cafe. Whatever it is that you're doing, there they are. But they are of no importance to you. Some aren't significant enough that you'd commit their faces to memory because after a second's encounter, you'll probably never see them again in a lifetime. They're mere shadows lurking in your presence.

And then there are the individuals whom you call acquaintances, colleagues, friends, family- they appear before you as colourful and lively. Some can fill up the entire room with their presence and speech. It's comforting in some ways.

Sometimes, the ones who move you the most are the ones we seem to lose touch of. Of course, life issues out unexpected events and we have to juggle whatever comes our way alongside our predictable routines so that by the end of the week, we pause and wonder where the time went.



hungary13


Then invitation calls. It's sent by a familiar face, the one that brings you back to a carefree time and releases warmth by the very thought of them. You accept, knowing that there will be an afternoon or evening to look forward to in days ahead.


Upon meeting, the conversation picks up right where you started. There's no awkward pauses, only laughter. You bring up fond memories and they catch you up on books or shows they've seen. Through it all lies the strong current of being able to share the same passion and agreement on things we admire or enjoy. More laughter is shared and promises of greater things to come on both our fronts. Days seem more brighter, evenings more luminescent. 


I can remember whole summers,  weekends, and even evenings as of recent (one in which as we were visiting the museum, my friend and I actually had to sit down to talk about our love of "The IT Crowd"), where I've happily endured such instances. The people whom I share these priceless moments, I'm grateful to have them in my life. You will find that with age, you begin to grasp that such relationships are indispensable and must be cherished dearly.


Inspirations:

Watch: The Artist- Michel Hazanavicius




I was thrilled to see that The Artist won Best Picture at this year's Oscars. This sort of film which tips its hat to the golden age of silent films, is beautiful, brilliant, and magical.

Love:
I could spend every evening here reading a great novel, sipping a glass of wine........beautiful. 

When I see this, I think of summer, (which makes me yearn for summer even more- not helping considering the situation at the moment, seeing that Toronto weather is a bit drabby) and the thrill sitting out here with my favourite novel and listening to jazz playing in the background on the record player.

To read: 


"Up in this high air you breathed easily, drawing in a vital assurance and lightness of heart. In the highlands you woke up in the morning and thought: Here I am, where I ought to be."


For those of you who may or may not know, I have been taking part of  HarperCollins Canada's 50 Book Pledge. I'm close to reading ten, so I will be creating a post dedicated to a review of the ones I've read so far- from Albert Camus' "The Plague" to Paul Harding's "Tinkers".

1 comment:

  1. Love your musings! It is interesting how people etch themselves in our lives so completely. One always hopes to be the type of person others remember.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for brightening my day! Always love to hear what you have to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails