Thursday, May 6, 2010

Letters to Juliet



When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
Helen Keller

Bonjour all!

Once in awhile, there would be moments when I would be drawn back to fond memories- whether it be a beautiful rapture of events, the warmth of conversations passed between loved ones, or a film that unravels a never-ending spiral of emotions thought to be kept away deep within the heart, but rises up to break through that hard surface once it recognizes the ties that bind between life, and that cinematic feeling.

This story is one of them.

In Verona, Italy, there is a place which thousands have flocked to in prayer, in hope, in dreams, holding this aura of believing the one thing that beautifully haunts humanity since the dawn of time: love.

Verona is quite a significant place for Shakespearian enthusiasts- the setting of the most recognized love story of all love stories... the story of Romeo and Juliet.

I think the whole essence of undying love is something we hold tightly within our hearts, searching unwaveringly for our Prince, our Romeo against the huge tide of Impossibility that washes ashore. Once we find it, its like this sunken feeling, this electric essence within our veins that fires alight when you touch that person's hand, a sort of channel that sings "it was you all along".

In a way, I have felt that sort of love in my lifetime, but then again, being unattached at the moment- I'm still waiting for that Grand Love. And it is here that we go back to Verona, to Casa di Giulietta, a house which is said to be the Capulet's home where a bronze statue of Juliet stands within the small courtyard.

It's been said that if you touch the metal of its chest, the person would have good fortune. We then appear before a wall near the entrance, known as Juliet's wall.

Here we see hundreds upon hundreds of whispered letters, notes, marks of existence, seeking what the heart wants, hoping that Juliet may hear and grant us our answers. Better yet, it's believed that those leaving one's writing on this wall would make one's love everlasting.
Someday, I will travel to Verona, and leave an imprint behind on that wall...I think it would be so nice to be able to cherish this incredible monument where thousands would come to this destination... there's a deep unexplainable reason as to why we all value such immaculate spectacles- and maybe it's better left unexplained... sometimes we need to just close our eyes and let go of everything and just feel.


Note: Images are via weheartit

Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

  1. Apparently the villa in Verona (with the balcony pictured) can be booked for Weddings. It would an incredible expense, but pretty darn romantic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that would just be amazingly nice, not to mention magical..and i'll say! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such an incredible post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Joanne, you recently commented (really sweetly) on my blog and I checked out yours. Thank you! This truly an amazing post - absolutely beautiful images you got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post - very romantic. I would love to travel to Verona as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for the comment!
    unfortunately it seems we spoke too soon about the warmth. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the snow flurries this morning. especially since on monday I was by the beaches and got a sunburn!!

    I loved this post! I was in verona last summer and this brought back some wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much you guys!! I'm very touched.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post! The film looks so romantic.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to visit Verona!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it would be such a dream to visit the love note wall...let alone italy! :) all of the pictures you included in this post are beautiful.

    i also wanted to say thanks for commenting on my blog. it really means a lot, and i enjoyed reading your comment. i can't believe you got to meet gerard butler! so cool.

    xoxo
    http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, how have I never heard of this magical place before? Perhaps this is nosey of me, but I'd love to take a look over all of the little notes posted to the wall. But wouldn't it be lovely to catch a little glimpse into others' hearts that way?

    This post does not help my immense wanderlust I have right now either. XD Now I'll have to add Verona to my ever-expanding list of places to go!

    (P.S. I also really want to see the movie Letters to Juliet. I love Amanda Seyfried, and the movie looks quite cute.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post! I'm dying to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a cute post! this story is one i doubt will ever die out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for brightening my day! Always love to hear what you have to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails